Work is an integral part of life: we spend most of our waking hours at work more than anything else.
Lack of work-life balance has direct repercussions on our health, finances and families, creates fatigue, poor judgement, and poor performance.
Creating work-life balance means that you are satisfied with your contributions to your life and work, that you are able to create a sustainable synergy between both, and that you are fueled by them on a daily basis.
Wondering what you can do to create a healthy work-life balance?
1. Take care of yourself
In order to manage a healthy work life balance, you have to put yourself first, value your health and well-being, and boost your leadership self-esteem from time to time.
It is cliché but it is true: when you fly on airplane, you must put your mask on first before assisting others.
2. Be clear about your purpose
A healthy work-life balance can be motivated by life changing events or by a desire to do better.
It helps to identify the reasons why you are working, and to establish a personal mission statement.
Then, you can set specific goals for yourself to increase motivation, to build up confidence and to stay focused.
3. Assess your strengths and weaknesses
Assessing your strengths and weaknesses is a great way to figure out where and how to apply them, to know when and how to say no and to get the most out of your work day.
If your aren’t applying your strengths and interests at work, find areas outside of work to do so.
4. Be mindful of your core habits
Implementing a successful work-life balance can be overwhelming at first but it makes sense in the long run.
You can start by:
- Challenging your core habits and deal with change one at a time.
- Prioritizing what matters most, avoid multitasking, pay attention to the vital few, keep your life simple and don’t be afraid of missing out.
- Being more disciplined. In order to make your life worthwhile, avoid distractions. This means that you have to shut down your phones, your television and avoid checking your emails outside of work.
5. Get rid of stressors and useless activities
Some activities are useless when they don’t align with your values and principles.
Others create more stress than expected or wanted.
It becomes detrimental to identify these stressors, the things that fulfill you the most and those that don’t. What activities engage you the most?
6. Manage your time effectively
A healthy work-life balance involves wise time management, self-discipline, and creates a better quantity to quality ratio.
If you are allowed flexible hours or remote working, put the power of internet to good use and work from home.
Employees working from home are more productive, have reduced commuting time, have less stress, are not constantly bothered by events in the office.
Remote working also allows the organization to save money on energy consumption and office space.
7. Learn to fully disconnect
During the day, clear out at least one hour to relax and empty out your mind through meditation or by exercising.
After work, learn to disconnect, leave work for the workplace and concentrate on your family and friends when you are with them.
Dedicate more hours to sleep. Sleep is a cure for many diseases. It helps to eliminate bad toxins, to increase your focus and your job performance.
Furthermore, promote well-being in the workplace and take vacations.
Last Words Of Advice!
Finally, give yourself the space and the time to explore new things and to see what works for you.
Hope that I’ve helped you get it together on your way to leadership!
Don’t forget to like, share and leave a comment below.
Journey To Leadership is now hosting networking events…
Come and join us in Paris on November 27th, 2020!
Purchase your tickets for all our events on Eventbrite and Meetup.com!
Subscribe to Journey To Leadership
- You Are A Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness And Start Living An Awesome Life By Jen Sincero - 23 November 2020
- Quote Of The Week #168 - 23 November 2020
- The power of No: 36 Different Ways To Say No In The Workplace - 16 November 2020