Organizations often face challenges that cannot be handle the traditional way.
Leaders quickly realize that creativity is the skill that will remove challenges, increase the success rate and will optimistically carry their organization into the future.
Wondering how to boost your creativity?
What is creativity?
Creativity doesn’t belong to the select few.
Creativity is the process of producing something out of nothing, of combining older ideas, of bringing imagination and ideas into reality.Creativity is intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein Click To Tweet
The benefits of creativity in leadership
In leadership, creativity is the mindset that improves workplace culture. Leaders who are creative:
- Are self-aware, authentic and passionate.
- Are solution-oriented and insightful.
- Are walking inspirations and are confident about their abilities.
- Make easy connections and see possibilities where there aren’t any.
- Understand that the world has changed and is changing.
- Think outside the box and challenge the status quo.
- Need motivation and autonomy.
How to boost your creativity?
Creativity is harder than we think but plays an important role in job satisfaction. There are a few ways that you can boost your creativity.
1. Take time off to restore yourself
Restoring yourself means that you know who you are and that you understand that society can erode your authentic self. Taking time off will help you to:
- Get out of your boring routine.
- Let your imagination run wild.
- Practice meditation, sleep and rest your mind.
- Prepare yourself for your next move.
- Exercise. Exercising will help you clear your mind and energize you.
- Put some distance between your personal project and your thoughts.
- Organize your day and work at hours where your creativity is the highest.
- Enjoy solitude. Solitude allows introspection and introspection triggers creativity.
2. Change your habits
It is good to change your way of doing things from time to time. In order to renew your though pattern:
- Go somewhere or try something new.
- Try things without fear or shame.
- Say yes to different opportunities more often.
- Expose yourself to things that inspire you and gain more experience.
- Build up new good habits. Building new habits will allow your body to go on autopilot while your mind is free to wander.
For leaders to become original, they would have to know what has already been created.
3. Don’t avoid failures
Failure happens to everyone and is inevitable.
Therefore, take more risks and learn the rules so you can break them.
In addition, laugh at yourself and welcome constructive criticism.
Fail as much as you can and fail early because even when you fail, you can always start over and the lessons learned will make you smarter.
4. Follow your passions and talents
Your passions and talents come easy to you, can be sustained on long periods of time and will fuel your creativity.
- Explore every single one of your interests and natural inclinations.
- Remember your dreams, strengths and passions as a child.
- Analyze the reasons why you are interested in certain activities.
- Take strengths and weaknesses assessment tests.
5. Work on your skills
Acquiring expertise in your area of interest will be swift and will liberate your mind so that your creativity can takeover.
A writer who has never learnt to read or write cannot express his creativity.
A fashion designer who hasn’t learnt different sowing techniques cannot attain their highest potential.
A leader who has never learnt to communicate efficiently will have a hard time sharing their ideas.
6. Keep on open mind
When you want to be creative, it becomes critical to keep an open mind for whatever you do:
- Have an insatiable level of curiosity.
- Listen to the ideas that come to you.
- Read books, listen to music, watch shows that will inspire you and that do not necessarily pertain to your are of interest.
- Learn new skills. Learning new skills will give you the opportunity to explore.
- Remove fear or other negative emotions that may block your thinking process.
7. Write down whatever comes to your mind
Ideas come to you at impromptu moments. It becomes handy to keep a notebook with you at all times so you can write them down as soon as possible.
To jumpstart your imagination, you can try brainstorming techniques or stare at a blank canvas as long as you need it. Blank canvas can be intimidating because there is an unlimited amount of outcomes.
When you are writing down your ideas, remember that there are no good or bad idea, just an unlimited number of ideas.
8. Monitor your surroundings
To get inspiration, you must surround yourself with creative people or with people from different backgrounds who hold different opinions.
You can also sit in public and observe the movement of people.
Last Words Of Advice!
It is one thing to be creative and another to maintain the creative process. You must learn yourself well and stay confident in your ability to create.
To maintain your creativity, first share your vision and ideas across your organization. Then, encourage others to come to you with ideas.
Is your organization doing enough to increase the creativity within the company?
Hope that I’ve helped you get it together on your way to leadership!
Don’t forget to like, share and leave a comment below.
The Leader Planner13,95€
Subscribe to Journey To Leadership
- 3 Easy Ways Leaders Regain Power Over Destructive Habits - 19 July 2021
- Quote Of The Week #201 - 19 July 2021
- Quiet Girls Can Run the World : Owning Your Power When You’re Not the “Alpha” in the Room By Rebecca Holman - 12 July 2021